We’ve been asked multiple times what is the difference between a roll away screen door or roll up screen door and a retractable screen door. The answer is simple: they are one in the same! Phantom’s retractable screen doors (often simply called, “Phantom screens”) utilize a housing case to store the mesh of the screen. Within the housing system is a bar and tension system that “rolls up” or “rolls away” the screen—which is how the different nicknames came about.
To make it a bit simpler, this is how it works. Roll away or roll up screens are in reference to a category called retractable screens. Within the category of retractable screens are specific brands, one of those is Phantom Screens. You’ll find that many retractable screen brands have similar functionality and utilize much of the same mechanics. The difference between brands is largely based on features.
If you want to know a bit more about our “roll away screens”, here are a few things that make Phantom Screens unique:
- Our screens are made from fiberglass and high quality extruded aluminum which is seven times more effective at controlling your interior temperature than blinds or curtains.
- We offer a variety of colors, mesh types, and retractable screen products (including window, large opening, and door screens) to blend seamlessly with your home decor.
- Our products are very flexible and can be used for anything from a small kitchen window to a large garage opening.
- We offer the only latch and release system for a retractable screen which creates a secure guard against unintended opening from wind or pets, but is easy for children and the elderly to use.
- Our installation team is factory trained and certified by the manufacturer so you can ensure a quality installation every time.
- Our products have a Limited Lifetime Warranty, meaning that all parts other than the mesh are covered for life.
We hope this helps clear up any confusion about roll up or roll away screens. We’re confident that once you look at all the options for a retractable screen solution, you’ll see the value in a Phantom screen solution. Please contact us with questions or to learn about our quote and installation process.